Mavericks, Jason Kidd End Partnership After Five Seasons
SLUG: mavericks-jason-kidd-end-partnership
DALLAS — The Dallas Mavericks and head coach Jason Kidd have agreed to part ways, the team announced Wednesday.
Kidd, 53, signed a multi-year extension last offseason and still has four years and more than $40 million remaining on that deal, according to Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix. The split comes a little over two weeks after former Toronto Raptors executive Masai Ujiri was hired as the Mavericks’ president and alternate governor.
League sources told ESPN’s Shams Charania that Ujiri and team owner Patrick Dumont reached the decision earlier this week. In a statement distributed by the club, Ujiri thanked Kidd for his contributions.
“Jason has had a meaningful impact on the Dallas Mavericks, both as a Hall of Fame player and as the head coach who helped lead this franchise back to the NBA Finals,” Ujiri said. “We are thankful for Jason’s leadership, professionalism and commitment to the team. He will always be an important part of the Mavericks family.”
Kidd was hired on June 28, 2021 and guided Dallas to the Western Conference Finals in 2022 and the NBA Finals in 2024. Hampered by injuries, the Mavericks finished 26-56 this season.
Ujiri said the organization will launch a “thorough, disciplined” coaching search as it reshapes the roster around reigning Rookie of the Year Cooper Flagg. Dallas also holds the No. 9 pick in this year’s draft, elements expected to make the vacancy highly attractive.
Kidd’s résumé is likely to draw interest in several active searches; Chicago, Orlando and Portland currently have head-coaching openings.
Source: Hoops Rumors