The Dallas Mavericks confirmed Thursday that guard Kyrie Irving will not play again this season as he continues to recover from surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee.
In a team statement, the Mavericks said the 33-year-old has made “steady progress” since undergoing reconstruction roughly three and a half weeks after injuring the knee on Mar. 3, 2025, against Sacramento. Irving will keep rehabbing through the summer and plans to return to game action in the fall.
“The choice was difficult, but it’s the best one,” Irving said in a message released by the club, thanking the organization, teammates, and fans for their support and vowing to come back stronger next year.
Agent Shetellia Riley Irving told ESPN’s Shams Charania that the decision centers on ensuring the veteran is “1000 percent” healthy for a 2026 championship push.
Timeline and Recovery
Players often need a full year or more to return from an ACL reconstruction, and Irving had cautioned last summer that a 2025-26 appearance was unlikely. Head coach Jason Kidd had publicly hoped for an earlier comeback, but the guard consistently downplayed expectations.
Context for Dallas
Dallas, currently outside the playoff picture after dealing Anthony Davis to Washington and retooling around rookie Cooper Flagg, faced little competitive pressure to rush Irving back. League sources told reporter Marc Stein last week that the final call would be made jointly by Irving and the franchise.
Contract Status
Irving is in the first season of a three-year deal worth more than $118 million. He is guaranteed $39.5 million in 2026-27 and holds a $42.4 million player option for 2027-28. Although a future front-office hire could reassess the roster, the Mavericks have repeatedly said they view him as an ideal partner for Flagg and have no plans to trade him.
Production Before the Injury
Before tearing the ACL, Irving averaged 24.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 4.6 assists in 36.1 minutes per game, shooting 47.3 percent from the field, 40.1 percent from three, and 91.6 percent at the foul line.
Dallas owns none of its first-round picks from 2027 through 2030, but the club will retain its 2026 selection, giving the team incentive to prioritize health and development over immediate wins for the remainder of this season.
Source: Hoops Rumors