Home / News / NBA plans to enact anti-tanking rules next season, sources say

NBA plans to enact anti-tanking rules next season, sources say

Spread the love

NBA to Roll Out Anti-Tanking Measures for 2026-27 Season
nba-anti-tanking-rules-next-season

NEW YORK — Commissioner Adam Silver told the NBA’s 30 general managers on Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, that the league intends to implement new anti-tanking rules before the 2026-27 season, according to sources familiar with the discussion.

The announcement came during a virtual meeting that also included league office personnel. Recent talks with the Board of Governors and the competition committee have accelerated plans to address what Silver has called the “worst” season of tanking in recent memory.

Proposals under consideration

Several concepts were shared during Thursday’s session and in a late-January competition committee meeting, sources said:

  • First-round picks could only be protected for the top four or for selections outside the lottery (top 14-plus).
  • Lottery odds might freeze at the trade deadline or another predetermined date.
  • Teams would be barred from selecting in the top four in back-to-back years and/or after consecutive bottom-three finishes.
  • No team could land a top-four pick the season after reaching the conference finals.
  • Lottery odds could be based on combined records over two seasons.
  • The draft lottery might be expanded to include all play-in participants.
  • Odds could be flattened for every lottery club.

Sources present described Silver’s tone as “forceful,” emphasizing the need to protect the league’s competitive integrity. Mike Krzyzewski, serving as senior adviser to basketball operations, urged a prompt and measured “attack” on the issue, telling executives to prepare for swift changes.

Context and recent penalties

During All-Star Weekend, Silver said he was evaluating “every possible remedy” to discourage intentional losing. Earlier Thursday, Phoenix Suns owner Mat Ishbia posted on X that tanking is “much worse than any prop bet scandal.”

The league has already begun cracking down: last week, the Utah Jazz were fined $500,000 and the Indiana Pacers $100,000 for resting healthy players, with the NBA warning that actions undermining integrity will not be tolerated.

Further discussions among team owners and executives are expected in the coming months, with a final framework targeted for approval before the start of next season.

Source: ESPN

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *