Home / News / Beverly Hills apologizes; Jaylen Brown says shutdown ‘targeted’

Beverly Hills apologizes; Jaylen Brown says shutdown ‘targeted’

Spread the love

Beverly Hills Issues Apology After Police Halt Jaylen Brown’s Brand Event
SLUG: beverly-hills-apology-jaylen-brown-event-shutdown

The city of Beverly Hills publicly apologized Thursday, acknowledging that an earlier explanation for shutting down an event hosted by Boston Celtics guard Jaylen Brown last weekend was incorrect.

In a statement posted to Instagram, city officials admitted that a message sent Sunday to the Boston Globe contained “inaccurate information.” The earlier release had said police stopped the Feb. 14 gathering because a permit had been denied following previous violations at the residence. The city now says no permit request was ever filed or rejected and that the home, owned by Oakley founder Jim Jannard, has no record of related infractions.

“The City takes full accountability for the internal error that resulted in the inaccurate statement,” the post read. “We are working to ensure it does not happen again.”

Brown’s invitation-only event promoted his 741 performance brand and took place during NBA All-Star Weekend. In Thursday’s apology, City Manager Nancy Hunt-Coffey said staff believed they observed code violations and ended the gathering solely for that reason. “On behalf of the City, I would like to apologize to Jaylen Brown and the Jannard family,” she added.

Brown rejected the city’s explanation, calling the shutdown “targeted” and based on “biased information.” Through Jaylen Brown Enterprises Inc., he said the decision caused “significant financial and reputational harm.”

“This was a private, invitation-only gathering at a private home among friends and partners, not a public or commercial event requiring a permit,” the statement said. Organizers claimed music was turned off at 6:00 p.m., four hours before the city’s 10:00 p.m. noise deadline, and noted that their request to hire an off-duty police officer had been declined. “No proof of any alleged violation was ever produced to the homeowner, our team, or legal counsel,” the group added.

Later on X, formerly Twitter, Brown wrote, “You targeted me and my @741Performance event based on biased information then you give a half ass apology after the damage is already done.”

Asked after Sunday’s All-Star Game in Indianapolis whether he believed race played a role, Brown responded, “All I’m going to say is that everybody else that did something in activation, there seemed to be no issues. It was 7 p.m.… We’re doing a panel, we’re doing stuff that’s positive.”

Brown’s organization said it is open to reaching a “constructive resolution.” The city indicated it hopes to collaborate with Brown and the Jannard family on future community events.

Source: ESPN

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *